Rob Ryan

I have admired Rob Ryans papercut & illustration style for a while now and he is pretty much the most well known papercut artist of recent years. His work (& that of others) has influenced my skills and ideas when creating papercuts and he is a great inspiration when it comes to creating things with a commercial aspect to them. Yesterday I visited the exhibition, that was held in The Yorkshire Sculpture Park (YSP), took a few photos, wondered round the park and took a price list of his work from the gallery. This is probably the most helpful thing, for my career that I have done so far!

By visiting the YSP and wandering round the exhibition and the gift shop, I could see the type of people that Rob Ryan's work attracted, the type of products he produced, the price range of certain things he creates and how he creates limited edition pieces of collectable one off pieces. I would love to attain the same type of 'branding' and audience appreciation he has where his customers follow his work to wait for something new to be made that they can add to their Rob Ryan collection. After looking at his price list, I think that in my own work I price things extremely low, which could put buyers off as they might think it is not a well made papercut or that it is cut by laser and not by hand. This is something I will have to change as I would like to create collectable items of design/art that people would want to save up for and then appreciate more.

Below are some pictures I took of the exhibition [but first is the price list of all the things for sale in the exhibition]