Stationery Range Brief - Structure Research

The first two images are from the book "Postcard" by FL@33, Agathe Jacquillat, and Tomi Vollauschek.While researching structures such as architecture, the strong horizontal and vertical lines reminded me of typography and the way characters look while they are being designed as you can see in the images from the book Type & typography. I chose the images below as they have strong, bold structured aesthetics and look as though they have been rigidly made.




I like the example below from Stefan Sagmeisters book "Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far" as it shows typography more natural and it has a more hand made feel to it, while still being structured within a structure of a spider web.




I feel Type & Typography by Phil Baines and Andrew Haslam is a good book to look at for structure within typography as it shows examples of characters being created, the structure of individual characters and what each part of them is called along with the visual elements of leading & individual cut metal character blocks.




Below are a few examples of what I think are interesting examples of structured type from the book - "Hand Job" by by Michael Perry. I like the first image as the typography isn't actual created, it is just revealed through the use of negative space, with the rest of the image being full of illustrations. This use of negative space could be an interesting thing to try with my papercut designs for my stationery. I felt the second image was a good example of structure as it is purely made up of lines, just moving in different directions. I love this simplicity and feel it is very effective.