Stationery Range Brief - Structure Research

The following images are from a book named "Design Japan" by by Michiko Rico Nose and Michael Freeman. I have been looking at structures within Japanese design that are mostly based within the area of Japanese architecture. I chose the following images from the book as I thought they were great examples of simple structures that give an intricate feeling.



I think the following image shows a simple design (on the walls behind the people eating) and I feel this simple kind of pattern could be classed as a structure as it is a large pattern built of smaller sections. While researching structures I have had this kind of thinking in mind, where a large design, made of smaller versions of the large design is classed as a structure as it is something large made up of smaller sections. I think this can apply to a wide range of topics and themes with patterns and architecture being examples of this.